Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Looking at an st
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billand View Post
For those who have had both a gen 3 focus and an ST how do they comparing and what MPG s do your STs get.
We have a 2012 Focus SEL we purchased new in June 11, it now has 21k miles. I picked up an ST for myself on 1/2/13 and have about 1600 miles on it so far.

The handling is amazing on the ST it responds immediately and is very confidence inspiring. The handling of the SEL is very good but it just doesn't beg to be pushed the way the ST does.

The ride comfort of the ST, amazingly, is nearly the same as the SEL which is extremely good for a compact car.

I think they both are equally quiet going down the road, my wife thinks the ST is quieter. The sound symposer on the ST provides more entertaining engine sounds under acceleration than the SEL.

Our SEL consistently gets 39 mpg on the hiway and on a 200 mile hiway trip I kept it at 65 the entire way and was able to squeak 43 mpg out of it. In suburban around town driving we have never had a full tank average under 30 mpg and typically get 33-34.

I have not taken a trip yet with the ST so
I do not have any hiway mileage numbers. But my 48 mile round trip suburban commute is giving me 28-29.5 mpg full tank averages. I spent a couple of days commuting (100 miles) trying to get all the ECO leaves and got 32 mpg average over that time. BUT, start running the ST hard with a lot of time in boost the mileage will drop to the low 20's real fast. My commute numbers include 1 or 2 WOT blasts up through the gears each way so if I stayed out of boost for my entire commute I could get my average over 30.

The trip computer on the SEL has consistently been. .8 to 1 mpg low. The ST has been with in +\- .2 mpg.