Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Conclusion:

ELECTRIC POWER STEERING SUCKS. The technology is not refined enough.

Cars should be getting easier to drive, but with my focus, it is a CHORE to drive. I am constantly making the SMALLEST corrections to the wheel in order to literally not crash. It is worse on some roads than others. I pay close attention to other cars driving and they are driving perfectly straight, unlike mine who is zig zagging between the lane because it just won't drive straight.

I drive the same roads every day, and I drive them with my companies previous generation focus, and that focus drives straight as an arrow.

This is obviously a problem with the technology if Kia and Hyundai's are experiencing the same thing.

Electric steering takes all the feel out of driving and being connected to the road.

So..

The Good
-Great styling inside and out.
-Drives very sporty on curvy roads.
-MFT for me works perfectly, never had any issues, and the latest update is the best so far.

The Bad
-A few rattles from the dash now that it is cold out.
-Driving in snow is a bit tricky.

The Ugly
-THE ELECTRIC STEERING
-the sad excuse for Ford service departments
-The joke which is Ford Representatives.

I do not understand how I went to 4 different dealers all who originally said my alignment was good after a test drive, then when put on the rack, it was off. After being corrected, go to a different dealer and the alignment is still off.

Do they know what they are doing? It does not seem like it.

I was a die hard Ford fan, owned 2 Ford's before this and my family has also owned many Fords.

Before anyone says "SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT A FIRST YEAR CAR" I call bullshit. My family has owned 3 first year redesigns, 2 Ford's, one kia all without any issue.

This Focus has been in the shop more times than all of my families cars COMBINED. and still without resolution.