Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - One Year Later - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Part 3

The story gets worse.

In October I bring my car to Lehighton Ford in Pennsylvania. The car is still very twitching when driving and is very sensitive to road conditions. Throughout this entire time I am in touch with Ford reps on this site and the Regional Customer Service Manager (all who keep changing).

Lehighton Ford test drives the car and finds everything normal. I tell them to put it on the alignment rack, which they inform me I will have to pay for. I agree. They put it on the rack and guess what!

THE ALIGNMENT IS OFF!

Here is a photo of the printout they gave me after correcting the alignment:

They send me on my merry way and the car feels ever so slightly better, but still very twitchy. I also notice the steering wheel is slightly crooked. A month later I bring my car back to them for my first time using my newly acquired basic maintenance plan. They changed the oil, rotated the tires, put on new windshield wipers, and also corrected my low windshield wiper fluid warning message which did not come up when I ran out of fluid. They also corrected my steering wheel.

Now it is in december and I cannot take the steering any longer. I take the car to Premier Ford in Brooklyn where I test drive the car with a tech who drives it, and tells me "it is perfect." He tells me though that electric steering sucks and that he hates it. He will avoid buying a car with it as long as possible because electric steering is very "road sensitive." I tell him how besides the highway wander, with my first steering rack, it did not drive this way. At low speeds it held the road perfectly and I was able to keep the car going straight with ONE FINGER. He is simply baffled.

I am sent on my way with no work done.

I Finally do what I probably should have done in the first place, I brought it back to Dana Ford 2 weeks later. Once again, I am in contact with the regional customer service manager, Cynthia. Dana Ford sends me on a test drive with a technician who is driving the car. He says everything is normal, but will put it on the alignment rack to make sure. GUESS WHAT? THE ALIGNMENT IS OFF AGAIN! They let me see the computer screen as my car is on the rack, and yes, it was off.

The service manager out of "good faith" does the alignment for free. The car now actually drives SIGNIFICANTLY better than before. I can now control it with 1 hand for the most part, although it still moves left and right more than any car I have ever driven. It still takes a lot of focus to drive straight, but is much better than before.

I try to live with this problem until 2 and a half weeks ago. I once again get in touch with the Regional rep and tell them I am bringing it back to Dana Ford for them to check again. So I do, and they find nothing wrong even after putting it on the alignment machine again.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited by Some Guy From NY; 01-31-2013 at 10:24 AM.