raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
Not always the tires. As much of snow as Cleveland gets, I haven't had any problems with these tires. I will admit, Conti's aren't my favorite. Not even close. But if you know how to drive in the snow, these tires are good.

I had no problems with the stock Conti's for the first 3 or so snow events but this last one, about 8 inches, was bad for me. I had to be at the airport for a trip and parking the car was a chore that required repeated rocking back and forth and the DCT, which has given me no problems up till now, doesn't like to be worked like that and I smelled clutch smoke.

Most of my previous cars were similarly marginal in snow so that nothing new. The Conti's are OK until the snow deeper than a few inches or is particularly slippery. Using winter tires in the winter make sense expect that even in snowy SLC the roads are free from snow 95% of the time in the winter so studs are a bad choice.

I wonder about chains...

Brian