Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 6-Speed PowerShift - 2013 Any Better?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #33
Zeeky
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109305
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SE

Points 344, Level 6
Points: 344, Level: 6 Points: 344, Level: 6 Points: 344, Level: 6
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Zeeky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmprof View Post
Been driving sticks and autos for almost 40 years now. I have the powershift in my 2012 TI and love it. 13,000 miles and it gets better every day. Drive the car, don't let it drive you. It's NOT an automatic, it's an automated manual!
@wmprof: Any tips on how to drive the car?

I have a 2012 Focus SE that I just got, and I am coming from a late 90s V-6 Lumina. Having looked at the forums the last few days, I am becoming really depressed. I see report after report of transmission problems, replacements, etc. The whole reason I bought a "new" car was that I didn't want to have to have a constant worry. Now though, I have constant worry AND a car payment.

Coming from a V-6 automatic Lumina, and having never driven stick in my life, I am hoping that I just need to get used to the difference. Still, I feel like I can't trust that the car will get power when it needs it. My lumina had some engine issues, so I was very used to driving it with an insanely light foot. With my Focus, if I use an insanely light foot, it feels like I can't trust that my car will go forward fast enough for me to not get creamed by oncoming traffic when I am turning.

I am dreading that my transmission might well need to be replaced at any given point. Many people seem to have transmission issues within the first 5 to 15 thousand miles with this car. I understand that this is an automated manual, not an automatic...but I could really use any tips on how to make my driving experience better. I am literally having trouble falling asleep at night because I am worried that I have bought a lemon. I even had a co-worker ask me today what caused my change in mood, as just a few days ago I was over the moon, but now I am noticeably troubled (her words).

So, any driving tips would be greatly appreciated!