View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
GaryT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109275
What I Drive: 2004 Sage Green SVT

FF Reputation: 1 GaryT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oh geez...O.K. cut me some slack guys, I'm an old man! At least I got 1 of the 3 letters and the color right...LOL! It's a ZXT and I honestlyy didn't mean to misidentify the car but I always associate the "S" with "sedan" and that's how I get off track. Anyway, I climbed aboard this morning at 5:00AM, fired up the faithful focus and started for work. Operating temperature at normal start and steady acceleration, the flat spot, hesitation and surging are gone and the transmission shifts exactly like it always has so at a minimum, replacement of the broken vacuum hose took care of that problem. I leveled off at around 50 to 55 and immediately felt the bucking and slight roughness that the car has had since new at this speed then it doesn't do it again the rest of the day unless the engine cools completely off. If I don't back off the accelerator and continue to slowly increase speed then it doesn't protest but continues to smoothly accelerate. Right after I got the car I found out that all of the 2.3 PZEV Focuses experienced the one time shuttering and roughness at around 45 to 55 so I didn't worry about it however it does feel like it may be a little more pronounced within the last 2 weeks. Now, here's what feels different...pulling onto the interstate at about 20 or so with the transmission already in 2nd or 3rd gear and kicking it down to 1st, the RPM's are there but the engine feels like its holding back until it shifts into 2nd then it launches like a rocket, shifts to 3rd and hits 65 in a heartbeat. I don't know, maybe the RPM's are already too high when the dowshift to 1st occurs but it didn't seem to be that way until recently...maybe a good starting place would be to disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset and see if that makes a difference. Also, passing speed seems weak, like running at around 60 to 65 and putting my foot in it, it kicks down like it should but the increase in speed seems sluggish. I pulled the vacuum hoses off of the sensors located on the front of the intake manifold one at the time to see what the affect would be. These are also the ones that the mechanic replaced. The one furtherest to the right side of the car seems to affect something in the top of the engine or in the intake manifold that makes a tapping noise, it quietens down when disconnected. Disconnecting the one to the left and closest to the throttle body causes a drop in RPM's at an idle and also causes a tapping noise in the top end of the engine or in the intake manifold. do these vacuum controlled sensors operate the butterfly valves located in the intake manifold? Thanks in advance for the help and again, I apologize for misidentifying my car.