Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Interior air/wind noise.
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Points 1,362, Level 20
Points: 1,362, Level: 20 Points: 1,362, Level: 20 Points: 1,362, Level: 20
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeky View Post
Hey all. I recently picked up a 2012 Focus SE, and am curious about an issue I am having. Having looked through this site, and some general google work, I have not yet seen anyone discussing loud air/wind noise getting into the cabin of the vehicle. In fact, most reviews of the car actually compliment the car on how quiet the interior is (aside from some of the plastic/dash rattles that seem to pop up that is).

With mine though, it almost sounds as if the window is partially down (no, it isn't...I checked :P). Even in the city it sounds loud, but especially on the highway. In fact, a friend of mine was chatting with me over the bluetooth connection, and he said it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel.

I need to have someone else drive the car and confirm if it is coming from anywhere else, but for right now I can definitely hear it from the driver window area. It isn't coming from the front/bottom of the driver window (I don't think it is related to the mirrors). Rather, it is coming from the top middle of the driver window.

I have checked the seal/strip/trim in so much as I know how, and putting my fingers up against that area while driving doesn't seem to help. The noise is loud enough though that it rivals the sound I was getting from my last car which had an actual loose seal/trim/strip that I could pop back into place whenever it made a noise.

I don't notice anything near this loud on my brother's car (which, while it is a different brand, is still a smaller vehicle of similar stats). I thought perhaps it was just my imagination due to coming from a car which had a very loud engine (i.e., maybe the LACK of loud engine noise in my Focus makes the airflow noise on this car seem louder than it should be), but I can't imagine that even doing 30 mph it should sound like a window is down.

Any thoughts on this?
Take a piece of printer paper, fold in half lengthwise and close it in the door near where you think the air is coming through. See if you can remove or how hard it is to remove. If you can remove it, test on other door to see if it takes the same "strength' to remove.