kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
So I reset the TRIP 1 settings everytime I fill up and I always fill it up all the way. At next fill up I take the miles traveled and divide by the gallons I just put in the car. I filled up yesterday after not having any highway driving at all and got to 22 mpg.

Normally if I have city and highway driving I average more around 30. Since these numbers seemed low to me I figured since I just got the car in december - maybe I need to adjust my driving habits. Since my last car was a 2004 Toyota Echo I started to realize that I push down on the accelator a little fast. In my old car that's what it took to get her moving...but in the focus it just seems to waste more fuel.

So after the fillup yesterday I decided to ease up on the acceleration and try to retrain my foot for the focus. Keeping an eye on the avg mpg I've traveled about 100 miles since yesterday in city conditions and kept it between 27-28 mpg. I've been working on better acceleration and maintaining a speed vs constantly changing. So we'll see how that improves my mpg.
Driving style has the biggest effect on mileage, sure. Here's a graph I put together after some fooling around with my Scangauge. I was actually surprised there was not MORE effect on mileage with hard vs soft acceleration. But this was a controlled test - in the real world there may be more of an overall effect by always accelerating hard.