Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - type of transmission fluid for MTX-75
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 223, Level 4
Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4 Points: 223, Level: 4
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When I did the cluch last year I replaced my fluid with the Ford fluid.

The trans used to have a problem popping out of 2nd gear. That problem is gone.

Also, now, once the trans is warm, shifting from gear to gear is smooth as silk. On my other Focus with the MTX it's still running the original factory fill (most likely) and shifting is a lot rougher.

$25 a quart is indeed highway robbery but the reason it's so expensive is that the additive pack is patented. As you undoubtedly know Ford does not make fluid they get a oil company to make it to their specs. The Ford MTX transmission fluid is nothing more than synthetic gear oil plus that additive package, the additive package is where all the magic is.

What Ford did here is the same thing that Chrysler did with their ATF +4. Ford went to the oil company and said "you develop a fluid for free for our specs and sell it to us for $100 a barrel for our assembly lines - and in exchange we will give you an exclusive outlet for the next 15 years for you to package and sell quarts of the stuff for whatever the heck price you want to the general public"

The oil company is free to sell their patented additive package to any fluid maker who wants to sell synthetic transmission fluid for the MTX and they do. Of course, they probably charge $24 an ounce, with 1 ounced needed to treat a quart of gear oil, which is why nobody buys it and sells a competing product.

And since people have no other source to go to than the dealer, the oil company charges whatever the heck it feels like, and the dealership tacks a fat markup on that.

Don't you love a monopoly?