Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Oil Leak Video 2013 Focus
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
my 2012 is just starting to do this with 37,000 miles on it. Ford has a technical bulletin for this seal, if i remember correctly.

As a technician, his job is to report the status of a vehicle to his advisor. Typically, if a customer isn't complaining about something, we aren't to touch it unless we have the customers permission. Your refrigerator company doesn't send a tech to your home just to see if everything is okay and they sure wont send a tech to your house to check your dishwasher and replace parts under warranty unless you have a concern. The same goes for the auto industry, we just don't go replacing things all the time. However, if something is bad/not safe/clearly not right, we NEED to do something as a dealership. I just had a customer with a 2009 Escape who's left front axle seal was leaking badly. The owner wouldn't know this unless I told him. He lives in an apartment, so it would be hard for him to notice a leak on the ground. But, because it was bad and not safe, we replaced it for him under warranty after making him aware of it.

The tech in the video needs to understand that he isn't supposed to replace everything he sees unless the owner instructs him of a concern or has the owners permission. However, he failed at not notifying his service advisor of this leak. The leak isn't minor and should have been addressed. The advisor should have notified the customer and set up a time for repair. Making a youtube instead of being proactive, is simply unacceptable.

Yes, Ford knows about this type of leak and that is why they have a TSB to fix it. For those of you bashing Ford on this, do your homework first. They have a fix for the cars effected by this and it's free under Powertrain Warranty Coverage.