Fan#: 107027
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dan__dan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
Wheels!

Well, it has been a good weekend so far, regarding the Focus and getting it ready for summer. The new summer wheels have been found and bought!

I had a few ideas in mind regarding what I wanted, but I was also keeping an eye out for anything interesting that may pop up on Kijiji. I was thinking along the lines of a unique set of OEM wheels from Volvo or someone, and that's exactly what I ended up with.

At the start of the week I came across a newly posted ad for some 17x8" V70R wheels with some minor curb rash. They were a good price and the damage was minor, so I immediately contacted the seller and started arranging to meet with him and see the wheels. Through our back-and-forth emails he explained that he had sent them off for refinishing and when they came back they'd be available for the same price. Saturday morning was the day I went to see them and they were exactly what I wanted. I bought them on the spot and took them home. They even came with a set of tires (though they have to be replaced) but they're good enough for test-fits.

Last night I put a couple on to check clearances and see how they'd look. I'd done all the math ahead of time regarding width and offset, and on paper I had figured out that they should fit. The only way to know for sure though, is to actually put them on.

Success! They fit beautifully, and while not completely flush are very close. They're simple and subtle, are still an increase in diameter over the stock wheels, and being Volvo they keep with the OEM+ theme.

As mentioned, the tires have to go and they'll need some TPMS sensors installed anyway. I think I'll switch down to some 225 tires, as these are currently 235s and are perhaps a little close.

But, there you have it. The Focus' new shoes for summer. Don't think I'm done with them though, I still have an idea or two I want to try.

I really love those rims and wound up buying the same set off of craigslist for 100, major road rash. I covered them in plastidip and painted the center caps red.