Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Rattle over bumps - front end?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegachicago View Post
I've got a front end rattle over small bumps or rough road. Seems to maybe be on the left driver side area. Not the transmission shifting or brakes since the noise is there with brakes applied or just coasting. This is not a clunk, just a metallic kind of rattle. I've checked under my car a number of times with a rubber mallet and cannot find anything. Not my Kysor shutters, or plastic rattle.
However, I find that if I raise the car and hit my axle, it almost makes the sound. Maybe a loose or worn carrier or axle bearing. It's been to the dealer 2 times with no luck. Does Not seem temperature sensitive either. Driving me nuts! I have around 8500 on the odometer. HELP
Same thing happened in my car. I didn't think much of it (although my experience was it was sort of temperature sensitive). Was at the dealer for a MFT issue, so i mentioned the suspension noise to see if they had time to look at it. Driver took it around the block couldn't hear anything. Then i told him to drive over a small speed bump, then he heard the crunching sound.

Turns out that the springs, struts and bearings all needed to be replaced, and in turn it screwed up the alignment very very badly. Apparently it's a common issue for MK3 with build dates before April 2012.

After taking it home it drives like a dream! just like the car i test drove and loved. Weirdly even the transmission shifts smoother. i use to get a tiny grinding sound going into 1st and from 1st to 2nd gear. But now i get no grinding, and i feel like it has a lot more power now. On the summary sheet i didn't see that they did any work on the transmission so i'm not sure why suspension work would effect transmission but just saying what i'm observing in my car. I now have the focus I wanted when i bought it!