Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Supercharger vs turbo
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,649, Level 78
Points: 14,649, Level: 78 Points: 14,649, Level: 78 Points: 14,649, Level: 78
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
agreed. you MIGHT find a complete turbo kit for $2000-2500 if you are lucky and if you are EXTREMELY lucky you might find one for $1500 but that kind of deal only comes along once in a blue moon.

but then after the bare kit you have to have a clutch to take the additional power which will run at least $300 or so. if you are going to pull the trans to do a clutch you might as well put a LSD in there or you will just spin that one tire and waste all that power you just spend so much money to make. a torsen LSD costs about $500-$600 if i remember correctly but it doesnt have a warranty but you will be hard pressed to break it. a quaife LSD costs about $900 but it has a lifetime replacement warranty even if you race with it. OBX has a cheap LSD but you would be taking a gamble on one of those. i dont know of anyone that has used one yet and i dont know what they will handle. oh yeah, you will also be running the risk of exploding the stock diff with all that additional power which can blow several very large holes in your transmission case and could possibly cause engine damage as well. i have done that before and it aint fun, i got pics to prove it and i did it with a stock engine.

then you MUST have tuning or you will pop your engine within a week. that will run a minimum of $500 or so.

then it would be very wise to change over all your motor mounts to polyurethane. this will cost around $300 for all 3. while this isnt required it is highly suggested because you will have to replace them soon afterwards anyway unless you drive your turbocharged car like a grandma.

then you are going to want exhaust. if you have boost you should run at least 2.5 inch if you are on pretty low boost but most people run at least 3inch with boost, even alot of N/A guys run 3inch. this will set you back at least $150 if you have a local mom and pop muffler shop whip up the exhaust for you and it will be well over double that if you get a good bolt in exhaust from trubendz or something similar.

otherwise if your budget is $1500 and you want to make more power your best bet is nitrous. you can pick up a really good second hand wet kit with some bells and whistles for about $500 from yours truly if you want it and you can spray a 125 shot on a stock engine with a good tune pretty safely. that would get you to about 250whp give or take a few ponies. tuning is a little cheaper for nitrous as well.

for any of these options a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge is a requirement. it monitors fuel trims and will show if your engine starts to lean out (not enough fuel) so you can avoid engine damage. it is also a very important tool in the tuning process. these cost between $150-$300 depending on what you get and where you get it. it MUST be a WIDEBAND. narrowband does not work.

superchargers are a waste of time unless 160whp-190whp is all you want. a jackson racing supercharger is only going to get you into the lower power range since its the baby supercharger for the focus. powerworks, procharger, and vortech are better if that is the route you want to go but for the money spent on a supercharger you could have turbo instead and in my personal opinion it is easier to install a turbo kit than it is to fight the damn intake manifold to get it off and then wrestle the supercharger in place. it might take a bit longer but i think overall its easier.

just my $.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!