Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Hello everyone! Radiator fan issue
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I saw a couple dozen threads about dead fan issues that thoroughly discussed these details. This was after a friend of mine had the same problem. He bought a factory service manual and read existing threads. His problem turned out ot be a burned up resistor assembly. The Focus has several weaknesses involving the fan relays & relay sockets located in the fuse box in the engine compartment and especially the fan resistor mounted in the top or bottom of the fan shroud assembly. In later years, and for duratec I believe it moved to the bottom. Since you have an early Zetec, it's probably at the top of the shroud. You will need a voltmeter to test and isolate the problem unless you want to replace a lot of good parts for no reason. If the resistor assembly is totally cooked you may be able to tell its bad from visual inspection, but that's a potshoot. In some cases the resistor assembly will burn up to the point that it destroys the wiring harness and these parts are sold in the aftermarket. I would strongly suggest parking the car until you repair it or takie it to a shop. Driving it with no fans can cause engine failure.