Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Wheel hop!
Thread: Wheel hop!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #29
SPRAYPAINT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89747
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,178, Level 28
Points: 2,178, Level: 28 Points: 2,178, Level: 28 Points: 2,178, Level: 28
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 SPRAYPAINT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Wheel hop is 100% suspension... When it's too soft or poorly aligned, wheel hop happens.

Stiffen the springs, stiffen the bushings, adjust the damping, and keep a slight toe-in alignment. That'll take care of wheel hop.

Tires and engine mounts have nothing to do with it.
AGREED!!!

I have coilovers, and wide tires. The only time I get wheel hop is when I'm beating the crap out of the car. When I take the car to the track the alignment fixes the wheel hop. As in anything you have to give in one area to get in another. Do you want a car that wheel hops or one that is going to chew through tires a little faster? Do you want a car that is going to ride like your on pillows (factory height) or do you want one that is going to carve the canyons (coilovered with 2.75" drop and customer spring rates). The motor mount does nothing for wheel hop. All the rear motor mount does is when the wheels start to hop it keeps the engine from rotating when it is loaded and unloaded very quickly. The noises that most think is the car coming apart is the rear engine mount itself banging on the subframe. When the mount is replaced the engine does not move as much but the wheels will still hop under harsh driving... My thoughts "drive it like you stole it and then fix it when it breaks".

January 2012 Ride Of The Month