Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Is it possible ? Bad compression on SVT
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,590, Level 98
Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can use the Zetec bottom end, but I fail to see how that would be easier than simply swapping out rings.

I don't know if using a Zetec bottom end with hi-comp pistons would work. Surely if you have one built already, the person who built it with hc pistons would have put forged rods in. Now if you were wanting to build a Zetec while keeping your engine in the car, then taking yours out, swapping the head and intake over, then installing it in the car- I can understand. You'd probably want to used forged rods too, and this method would be more expensive than using your SVT block since it probably doesn't run with only 85 psi on one cylinder. Besides, you don't know if it's pistons that are the problem right now or valves, so you'd have to had the head worked on also.

The only reason to go to a dished piston is for future forced induction plans, so the engine can handle more boost. Forged rods and pistons required- obviously. To go to a domed piston, I'm not sure. You need more of an expert than me. It's possible there is an 11.5:1 set out there that will work with the VCT, or cams can be used that are designed to work with those pistons and without the VCT.

I think this is a question best answered in the SVT forum, not in Gen Tech Chat.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.