Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Need help with finishing a bare metal surface
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
_fifth_
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72683
What I Drive: oh-sicks Silver ZX4

Points 3,496, Level 36
Points: 3,496, Level: 36 Points: 3,496, Level: 36 Points: 3,496, Level: 36
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 _fifth_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Need help with finishing a bare metal surface

I'm really not all that sure where to put this, but it doesn't have to do with cars. Sorry mods. I am currently building a moped from the ground up and have since gotten stuck on the gas tank. The moped I'm currently building is a top tank frankenstein's monster of sorts, with parts from all sorts of different mopeds.

The plan was to sand down the gas tank I have and just paint it, but when I finally got it down to the metal it looked amazing (outside of a few dents and a small rust spot).

Here is my question. I am planning on keeping it with the metal exposed and maybe just clear coating it to prevent future rust. It was sanded down with I believe 100 grit sand paper and is really scratchy looking now. How should I go about getting it to a finished surface? I was planning on just sanding it and eventually getting up to a 500 grit and wet sanding it but I'm not all that sure of how it will look when it's all done. Should I buff it out or anything? If I do should I use wax on it? And what kind of clear coat do you guys think is best for just bare metal?

Here's a pic of the tank as it stands now:

Also, what's a good way to get rid of the dents since I won't be painting it? I was planning on just using bondo or something like that but I can't now. I've heard of filling it full of water and putting it in the freezer, but that will lead to the tank rusting out which is a pain.

I'm sorry again if this is in the wrong spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragesmack View Post
Yeah, too many hatches. When the sedans take over, all will be good!