Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SVT with sudden rough idle, power loss
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #66
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,197, Level 28
Points: 2,197, Level: 28 Points: 2,197, Level: 28 Points: 2,197, Level: 28
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Looks like I'm not out of the woods yet...

Tried to start it today, no go. Plugs are new now. Eventually I got it to start using the same method as yesterday, a gas soaked rag on the intake. It ran like crap until warm, when it ran somewhat normal. What is odd is that during the warm-up and even when it was warmed up, it was like the car switched modes from "normal" to "crap". During 'crap' mode, the car would have a rough, ugly idle at around 600 rpm. It would not respond to throttle input, even WOT. Eventually the car would switch to "normal" mode and would idle at 900, and responded to throttle. I took it for a drive at this time and it was mostly normal-going, until it started to crap out again halfway through. Back in the garage it continued to idle like crap and not respond to throttle. Code P0171 (lean condition) popped up during this time.

So the car runs well sometimes, and runs like crap most of the time. It is difficult to start when cold, seems like its getting flooded.

Could it be the fuel pressure sensor? Regulator?
IAC?
TPS looks like it still works just fine, I have a scan tool and it always reports correct percentages.
Faulty injector? Could one be leaking or plugged?
Bad ECU?
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune