Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Alternator - to buy from Ford or Advance Auto?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
$400!!!! fffffffffffffdat! If that's what they charge up there, I'm not sure I want to consider moving to WA. I'll rebuild that slut puppy myself if it costs more than $100. It had better be a 200 amp aftermarket alt with an external VR before I'll consider $400.

The guy who rebuilt mine only replaces what is bad- which is all I want. In my case it was bearings, field brushes, and the VR. What wasn't bad, and he said would've cost another $85, was the pulley. Apparently, at least 05+, our alternators have a special pulley that prevents the alternator from spinning backwards, and dampens sudden jumps forward. This is what all manufacturers are going to now because it extends the life of the alternator dramatically. He said that some of those will last forever, and some will go out with the alternator. I haven't inspected an alternator pulley closely, but he didn't have any reason to lie since he didn't charge me for it. My OEM lasted 140k miles. I don't expect alternators to last more than 100k.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.