Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #1928
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just to even clearer....

The sound my half shaft makes is when you are under the car, with it sitting on ramps, on the wheels, and you grab the half shaft with your hand and jiggle towards the wheel and towards the tranny. It moves about .030 and makes the same type of sound I hear when I hit tiny bumps, and that sound goes away when it gets hot, but it takes longer than you think. Like ten minutes, and if its colder than 45 it takes a really long time to go away, but the only time I ever had it down to 35 degrees it was silent too, and then started making the noise again at 45 degrees.

The way I understand CV joints the slack should be taken up within the parts that slide around each other, and there would be no clunking when the half shaft moved only a little bit. It's hitting something at each end of that 1/32 inch of travel.

When the suspension compresses, it would change the distance between the wheel and the tranny but way more than that, and that distance is accommodated by the CV joint. But I would think that accommodation would be silent cuz nothing hits anything.