crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
I would ask all the people in the onsite broken SPI thread if they considered this engine to be reliable.

Any engine that runs fine for a time and then suddenly drops a valveseat the next time you start it is not reliable. Maybe one doing it yes, but MANY do it, enough to make anyone owning one worry when theirs will, that is absolutely not the definition of reliable.

How much better is the zetec? How about on average close to an additional seventy five to hundred thousand miles more life in many cases. I can't imagine anyone thinking that is a small advantage.
One preventable problem does not make an engine unreliable. (Ask svt owners about their timing belt)

If a person knows of a preventable problem and chooses not to prevent it, that is the owners fault, not the engines.

No one ever said the valve seats were not a problem. the most definitely are. but they are a preventable problem.

now, you show me how many zetecs are on the road with 200,000-250,000 miles with nothing more than preventative maintenance. exaggeration and hyperbole are not great debate tactics. I think most zetec owners would be happy to get 150,000 miles out of their engines. an SPI with a new head can do that in it's sleep. and many spi's without the new head dropped their valve seat in the 140k-160k range. (though some were much sooner)

if you are going to be a troll, at least be a well informed troll. then someone might actually listen to you.