Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Focus ZX3 from Frisco, TX would like to meet pals
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #21
Ma-fia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3556
What I Drive: 2002 Grass Green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Ma-fia Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi guys! Thanks for all the nice words and help. It got somewhat crazy before the final departure day, so I only kept up with business e-mails, nothing else.
I'm already in Italy. The car's on the boat to Italy, sailing as we speak.

Blue5ive
I used SEM. It seems to stay pretty good on the vinyl. I've had it on the doors for over 2 years no problem. Scratches real easy on plastic. But anyway, DIY-paintjob is always DIY paintjob - you have to be careful with it. Unfortunately as far as vinyl spray, SEM was the only choice for me, 'cause they were the only one who had this dark shade of cream/tan. It dries out within minutes and stays on well.
I resprayed all plastic pieces (except for the dash, which you don't touch much anyway) with Krylon - brown hammered finish. That seems much better. The pics don't show it on the doors, those pics are from before the re-spray, but you can see that color on other plastic parts. I decided I wanted it all as perfect as I could get it, so I drilled out the door handles and the pockets on both doors, and after spraying them brown, fitted it back with screws. Worked out very well. Did the same thing with pockets on the side panesl to the right and left of the pass. seat. That was even easier to drill out.
You probably noticed - I'm anything BUT conventinal. Don't know anybody else who would buy a new car with 16" wheels, and immediately stick 14" on it. But I figured - I like the looks, tires cost heck of a lot less, so who cares what everybody else's doing, right? I've also used tan regular spray pain on the headliner. It turned the color just enough for it to go well with the overall color scheme.

Big Body
I sure wish I knew what "well" means (no irony here). I couldn't find any "sticking promoter" for car plastics or for vinyl, so, I just wiped everything with alcohol twice, sprayed it and prayed for the best. :) Have you done anything like that? Can you share any details?

GreyScorpion
Appreciate the tip! I managed to put everything in place, and the seat-belt-bolt cover pieces were the last ones. I just threw them into the glove compartment.
------------------

Currently I'm investigating the taillights: I will have to replace them, since the rear turn signals have to be yellow as far as I know. Considering 2 options:
1)Popping in taillights from a European model. In European Foci the reverse is on the rear bumper, so that would involve replacing connectors on the car's harness, doing some re-wiring, and fitting reverse lights on the bumper.
2) cutting out some plastic on original lights and fitting in pieces of yellow plastic.
Haven't decided yet, what's easier. Need to consult a body shop guy (I know a real good one locally) and the DMV inspector who would do the inspection for the registration.

Last edited by Ma-fia; 01-26-2013 at 08:53 AM.