Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3*
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Oh heck, what can I say - Mileage question sounds like a good excuse for a "Road Trip" !!!

My Totally Different Focus gets about 29 & change around town when I drive for economy, just WON'T get that magic 30! But 25 is common when I have more fun with it....

It SHOCKED me on it's first long road trip (to FocusFest) when I got high 30's (like 38) on the way there driving conservatively (67-70 depending on speed limit). Quicker driving & more fun drops this of course....

Brand New vehicles often have at least ONE "glitch" to be fixed, especially if it's a new design. then you get that "honeymoon" period between "broken in" & the time when you need to start replacing "wear items"... At that point, if it gets good service (maintenance) and the wear items are taken care of in a timely manner, you'll get YEARS of good service with minimal hassles....

For example, I've got this 18 year old P/U (Chev. S-10), that had a rear universal replaced under warranty, then it died again after the warranty was out. Replaced it with a greaseable replacement U-joint instead of the original "lifetime lubed" unit & it's still OK at 145,000 miles.... Starter rebuild & a clutch safety switch that recently got "intermittent" are the only "repairs" that I've done other than rust issues with a brake line & a fuel line, and at it's age those could be considered "wear" items as well!

By the way, a Forum like this is handy to let you know about common issues that crop up as the miles go on, there's ALWAYS someone who cranks the miles on more than most so we can get hints as to issues to pay attention to so they don't come as a surprise.... It's a LOT nicer than wondering if you are the only one who has a particular failure..... On the other hand, you can't let yourself worry about EVERY possibility - just 'cause it happens to some doesn't make it a universal failing, the history of many units simply helps with diagnostics IF it happens that you have a similar issue!

Good Luck & enjoy your new Focus, wouldn't mind a new ST myself but it'll probably be an old car by the time it gets to me.....

(grin)