toilet2000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98863
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 toilet2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanzx5 View Post
you should do some research before saying an auto sucks for racing. look at the new gtr, auto tranny and its race track ready off the lot. ask trubo tom about his turbo'd ford focus with an auto.
lol... do some research... a Nissan GT-R has a double-clutch transmission, which correspond to a dual-gearbox automated manual with independent clutch.

Automatic trannies have a torque converter, which uses fluid viscosity to reproduce clutch slipping without electrical needs (there's a vortex of oil which transmits the power). this HAS a lost of energy and IS less efficient than any manual trannies.

Modern autos use a lock-up clutch on the torque converter to prevent loss from constant slippage (NOT IN THE 90'S), look for lexus LF-A or IS-F, these are the only "performance automatics" that I know of. Any other cars with performance "auto" trannies are simply automated manual (single or double clutch/gearbox)

That being said, auto do not prevent power, but it is less efficient than a manual. For 2 cars that has almost the same specs (ST and 240sx), manual is a BIG advantage