gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Can someone school me on this please? I am about to put an old set of volvo rims on my Focus for winter driving. I feel like I have been transported into the future and nothing makes sense. The original wheels will communicate with the car when its parked? What? And learn? Who learns what? There is a wireless sensor inside the original rims? All I know is these old rims definately do not communicate or learn anything. Someone please tell me WTF is going on in terms a simpleton like me can understand? Thanks. I don't want my TP light on all winter.
http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/info-centre/TPMS/

Why Tire Pressure is Important

Your tire's contact with the road and traction is directly related to its air pressure. Proper tire inflation gives your car optimal handling, reduces tire tread wear, and increases fuel economy. But many vehicles have improperly inflated tires, with under-inflation being the most common problem. 70% of passenger cars and light trucks have at least one under-inflated tire.* This can cause problems:

Under-inflation increases rolling resistance and places additional stress on tire rubber, reducing fuel economy and increasing the risk for tire damage or even a blowout.
Under-inflated tires cause about 250,000 accidents a year, and 75% of roadside flats are caused by a slow leak or under-inflation.
A tire may lose up to half of its inflation before you can visibly see the difference, and 35% of drivers admit they never take the time to check tire pressure. *

TPMS Overview

A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is an electronic system for monitoring your vehicle's tire pressure. Most cars manufactured after 2007 already have TPMS installed. Before changing your tires, check with your service advisor to confirm if your car has TPMS installed.

TPMS Types
There are two types of pressure monitoring systems: direct and indirect.

Direct TPMS measures the actual pressure from within the tires, using a pressure sensor with a transmitter. An in-car receiver monitors the pressure, and notifies the driver if the pressure in any tire drops below a set level.

Indirect TPMS monitors tire pressure by using the vehicle's antilock braking system's wheel speed sensors. The system compares the rotation of the tires to one another, and will alert the system if one tire rotates at a different speed than the others. Because the system is indirect, it may trigger more false alerts.

TPMS Maintenance

TPM sensors may require replacement/maintenance for these reasons:

The sensor has been damaged and is no longer reading the psi properly.
The battery on the sensor has died. If the battery is dead the entire sensor must be replaced.

Whether you are looking for a second set or for replacement sensors for your TPMS, Canadian Tire offers an economical solution.

* Study by Rubber Association of Canada.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus