Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Dealer can't fix rough idle?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That should result in a high idle, not low, but go ahead and try it.

We recommend that people learn how to work on their own vehicle. Nobody is going to treat your car like you will. Very few shops will use anti-seize on the spark plug threads where you're threading steel into aluminum, and over time a galvanic reaction can pull the threads off the aluminum- meaning an expensive repair for the owner. Fuel filters are also so simple that shop people will commonly screw these up. I would think that would change over time since most Fords use this style of clip now. The old clips were made to be removed and replaced, the new clips break if removed- and the old clips won't fit where the new ones go, so unless your fuel filter kit comes with the new style clips- you're screwed. A shop is going to charge you for their mistake, or an embarrassed mechanic will rig something to get you out of there. Even something as simple as gapping spark plugs is often overlooked because most spark plug manufacturers pre-gap plugs now. 90% of the time, you'll be ok, but that one time will leave you running for months eating up too much fuel and needlessly clogging the catalytic converter and exhaust system. The best part is saving money. My dad paid $400 for a valve cover gasket at his Honda dealer. Unfortunately, he didn't get my message not to let them do the job. The part costs $35. I could've replaced it in 1-2 hours if I took my time, and did the plugs and wires at the same time which would've cost about $35 more. Still considerably less than $400.

This stuff isn't that hard if they pay someone $10/hr to do it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.