Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - advantages to turning off the esc?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
acbauza
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104447
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 acbauza Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Think long and hard before doing this. As an in-car driving instructor I never advise students to turn off traction control or stability control. The manufacturer puts it in there for a reason, because at some point all of us "run out of talent".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky21 View Post
When it's turned on it does many things. It will reduce wheel spin when accelerating, if the car begins to slide, it applies brakes to whichever wheel will help reduce the slide and when coming out of a slide, it limits the amount of power put to the drive wheels so you don't continue to slide.

In sport mode, which is when you hit the button once, it reduces all of those affects.

When you hold the button for 5 seconds, it turns completely off and none of those affects are applied.

Traction control/electronic stability control do many different things and I would suggest reading more into if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_control
Quote:
Originally Posted by aernan View Post
I've heard folks chatting about turning off the ESC in the ST. I have not noticed it getting in the way when I drive like the stability control in the Audi. Can anyone discus when it is triggered and how that effects performance/traction?