Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2013 ZR1 Vs. 2013 GTS
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
No one here or anywhere is going to agree with anyone else on the cars. It comes down to personal taste and your wallet. I'd happily take any of the above mentioned cars but if i had my way, I'd be going Euro...I'd want some performance and refinement, never going to be spending much time on a track.

Who left the keyfob on the roof?!?
They need to do more rounds with more cars and get the focus back on there. (also want to see the Taurus interceptor)
Every company makes a few good cars and each model has it's strengths and weaknesses. The key is to find a car that suits your needs. I'm open-minded and have no strong affinity for any particular brand. People stuck on one brand are invariably cheating themselves out of owning the ideal vehicle for their particular use.

However it's been my experience that most car guys know the difference between a true sports car (performance car with two seats) and a sports sedan (sporty-looking sedan). I owned both, a Vette sports car and a BMW sports sedan. They shared few similarities aside from a V8 motor, 275/40-17 rubber on all 4 corners, clutch pedal and 6spd manual. The sports car was lighter, handled much better, stopped faster and got better fuel economy. The perfect 50/50 Vette weight distribution and 4 wheel SLA suspension resulted in totally neutral handling and balanced tire wear under weekly track flogs. The BMW fit, finish & interior is much better & ride is very sophisticated. The Vette rode like an econobox or truck and it didn't carry 4 people with luggage. The 4dr rear wheel drive sports sedan was sprung a little soft but could duke it out with noseheavy muscle cars. The BMW V8 sedan weight distribution beats all muscle cars, near 52/48. It's heavy (3750lb) but "OK" for occasional track days. The ZO7 Vette was totally awesome for track and could be safely driven at 100% on a wet track while half asleep. BMW is notoriously forgiving too, but not nearly as capable. However The Vette was totally useless for daily family transportation. Needless to say, my impractical, fun sports car only lasted a few years before it was rejected by my wife. Vettes have amazing resale value, so it sold for more than I paid. The resale value of the BMW dropped like a rock. You can buy a decade old BMW for under $10K that cost $60K new.

When I bought my Euro sports sedan, the USA manufacturers did not offer one of similar potential. The only one close was the Lincoln LS. Sadly it was offered with V8 teamed with pathetic automatic tranny or underpowered V6 with 5spd manual. The first serious USA sports sedan with respectable performance was CTS-V. Ford is still clueless. The Taurus Interceptor is best described as an updated Freestyle SUV with a trunk. Chrysler V8 sedan platforms aren't much better. At least GM and Chrysler abandoned the 60's musclecar solid axle.

Last edited by Lscman; 01-23-2013 at 10:11 PM.