Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Dealer can't fix rough idle?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Um, yes, the car was in a flood. No matter what someone tells you, I would avoid flood cars- period. There's a reason why the insurance companies total flood cars. Flood cars are not as bad, IMO, as previously wrecked cars. I'd drive a flood car before a previously wrecked car. There is no such thing as a safe pre-wrecked car- period.

Tell your dad that I think it's time for a "tune-up", and let me explain what that is on this car. You don't have spark plug wires because you have coil on plug ignition. The spark plugs are probably ok- but could use cleaning and re-gapping. We have had people who had engine running problems for a very long time that were due to wackily gapped plugs. Get some anti-seize, remove the plugs, clean, re-gap to .052-55, replace with anti-sieze on the threads. Get some spray MAF cleaner, a new fuel filter, check the air filter and replace if it looks iffy. You'll need a Torx screwdriver to remove the MAF. It is the wired sensor in the air intake between the air cleaner and the throttle body. Typically there is an off colored (red) slide that you pull back, and that exposes a clip you can push in to unplug the MAF. Then you unscrew it with the torx and remove it. There are 2 holes in the sides of the MAF, spray cleaner in these, but don't shove the straw inside. Shake, and re-install. The first thing you have to do to remove the fuel filter is to discharge the fuel pressure. Find the fuel cut-off switch and unplug it. It should be inside the passenger kick panel in the front. Remove the panel, unplug the switch, and start the car. The car will not run, but fuel pressure will be discharged. Failure to do this will get you gasoline in the eyes, ears, mouth- and you'll probably puke. To remove the fuel filter, you need to jack up the back of the vehicle. Be sure to put wheel chocks on the front wheels to prevent the car from rolling. Put MT cars in gear, and AT cars in P- but I would still chock the wheels. The fuel filter is located in front of the passenger rear wheel about 20" under the car. Look for where the exhaust makes a 90 degree turn, and behind that will be the filter. You'll need a 5/16 or 8mm 1/4 ratchet and short extension to reach the screw that holds the fuel filter bracket in place. You'll notice that there are 2 plastic fuel line clips on each side. On one side you'll be able to see the flat white face of the clip insert. Press on the white rectangle of the clip insert and pull. On older Fords, the white insert was removed, but on these new designs you simply press the flat face of the insert into the clip, and pull. Now if you can't see the flat face of the clip on one side of the filter, follow that line back about 6" and you'll see a clip you can easily remove. Pull that small section of line off with the filter and bracket. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.