Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Overheating and no heat
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
kimszoo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106993
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 kimszoo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Overheating and no heat

My car suddenly developed this problem this morning, in -30C temps of course. It ran for less than 15 minutes before the temp gauge almost red-lined. And I had no heat in the car. Once it cooled enough I checked for obvious problems, coolant levels and mix, hose and housing leaks etc. There was coolant on the belts, but apparently the screw holding my overflow bottle disappeared some point this week, and it had obviously dripped out the top. I thought the thermostat may have stuck closed so started it again and didn't hear liquid moving when I squeezed hose that feeds into it but it didn't backfeed into the reservoir either. The belt was dry, no antifreeze on the ground, or smell of burning antifreeze. Let it cool again, the engine heats up very quickly compared to usual. The next time I started it, I could hear a slight bearing noise, from the pump area.

So, does that mean my water pump failed completely and quietly with no warning and in the very cold temps, overheat that quickly, and no heat in the car? I wish it had a rad cap so I could at least see if liquid was circulating. I can't even make it to town to a garage for a pressure test, and don't want to spend hours outside in this weather changing it if could be something else, hopefully simpler.