Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Transmission Shaking
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #640
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SouthernGal,

I'm a big fan of the 5 hard accelerations technique. It has worked for me. Twice. I had a moderate shudder develop at about 500 miles on the car. I lived with it for 1,000 miles but finally took the advice of others on here and went out to a country road and did a few full throttle, pedal to the metal, 0-60 accelerations in a row. Then I drove very aggressively for the rest of the day. I had several thousand smooth miles after that.

Then like you I went and had the "customer satisfaction" update done (12B37). The DCT started shifting sloppily after that and eventually a shudder developed. So I went out and again did the 5 full throttle accelerations. It still doesn't shift as buttery smooth as it once did, but the shudder is again gone. That was a couple thousand miles ago.

I would say don't take "Strix"'s advice and give up just yet. There are many on here, like me, that have had problems but eventually got them fixed for good. Make sure you've got all the latest software updates from the dealer, then go out and put the pedal to the medal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
Third, how in the holy heck is one supposed to differentiate between the "normal" shudder and not "normal" shudder?
Having had the full range of shudder severity, my take is that a slight shudder that's not enough for a passenger who's talking to you at the time to notice is probably within the normal operating range. A shudder severe enough to get that passenger's attention mid-sentence and have to ask "What the heck was that?" is definitely not normal and you shouldn't settle for it.

I'm pretty much with you overall on driving experience, Ford loyalty, and reluctance to accept the DCT's quirks when all I want is a smooth shifting automatic that stays in the background. I would personally prefer a smooth shifting conventional automatic and would be willing to take a 1-2 mpg hit for it, but with a little proaction on my part the DCT is to the point where it's not perfect but I can accept the quirks in everyday operation and the other positive attributes of the car more than make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Do it now.

The more you have done at a Ford dealership, the worse it's going to get.
Says one particularly disgruntled Focus owner.