I just did my timing belt and got It on the first try, though I spent a lot of time analyzing while it was apart. I got everything to tdc and put everything on. Then I removed the timing tools. Then I put the ratchet on the vct cam and noticed that it moves independent of the cam itself, and that inner portion of the cam moves under torque from my hand, yet no other part of the engine rotateduntil i reached one of the extreme variations. So I rotated it to max retard, and then forward to max advance. You need to make sure the cam itself is at or near tdc when the gear is positioned halfway between the 2 extremes. You could use a degree wheel to find the total degree of variation, then divide the number in half to get your magic number.
I didnt like the result I originally got, so I reinstalled the timing tools and locked everything to tdc, carefully detensioned the timing, and twisted the intake cam one tooth backwards. I haven't had any issues or codes and its been 2 weeks.
Let me know if I made no sense whatsoever.
Also, once everything was set and ready to be buttoned up, I rotated the engine by hand several times to check for interferance. Once it passed the initial check, I put a drill on the crank and spun it up to maybe 100 rpm. All good!
Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Tapatalk
Droste Drummer. Droste like Frosty.
00" Red ZX3: Volant, ported throttle body, titanium wrapped SVT header, 2.5" exhaust, Magnaflow res/muffler, FR UDP, Mac cam gears, Lowered 2", Koni's.