Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Should I get new wheels?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
bigger wheels are generally heavier, so they lower your acceleration, your mpg, increase angular momentum with turning.

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, then sure, wheels can help it look 'better'. If you want to improve the performance get ready to spend some serious money.

I generally get a set of wheels when i get snow tires. You could go that route.
Don't let this scare you. We're talking fractions of a mile per gallon, and that's really if you're making a large jump. Most aftermarkets wheels, even bigger than stock, are *much* lighter than the stock Ford brand. In addition, acceleration is also *MINIMALLY* affected.

Angular momentum really isn't affected at all in this case, any more than adding any other amount of weight anywhere else in the car. Not sure what you mean by that one...

Either way, the 18s that come with the handling package are in the neighborhood of 32lbs, while most aftermarkets start around 21lbs or so (and go down from there). Stock wheels are generally much heavier than aftermarket, so upgrading to a bigger size does not generally mean increasing weight.