Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #31
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Having worked in the industrial control industry, a lot of onlookers used to say fix it with software. Sometimes a kludge can be done, but it's really hard to fix broken actuators and leaky seals with a software update.

And as far as Ford not working on this, I've had 4 different versions of DCT software installed on my car so far (2011 factory, December 2011, 12B37, and a newer version when I took it in Jan 2013.) Somebody is doing something, I'm just not quite sure what it is. It still hasn't removed the oil from my clutches or fixed my squeaking actuator.
Currently working in the industrial controls industry, I 100% agree. The "mechanicals" always think it's my software's issue, when it's typically a valve sticking or something of the sort. Therefore, if it's a broken actuator or a leaky seal, then of course that cannot be fixed with program updates. Those parts need replaced by the dealer.

I personally (to my knowledge) do not have hardware problems. So, I only notice the software issues, which is what I was commenting about above.