jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_nc View Post
I've had winter tires and wheels mounted on my 2013 Focus for about a month now and I am not happy about what I've learned about the tire pressure sensor operation.

First off, I park about 25 feet from where my summer wheels with sensors are stored. Furthermore, I mostly drive around my small village of Asheville, NC. Doing this, I am never notified of a tire pressure fault.

The whole reason I was excited about getting the TPS was my prior experience with low-profile tires on a Mazda Protege 5. On that car, I once had a front tire flat, and drove several miles with my only sensation being a slight steering wheel pull to the side. Only when other drivers pointed at my tire did I realize I had a flat. By that time, I had bent the wheel.

However, it seems like the TPS would not help me in the same scenario, as you have to drive about 20 miles before the sensor displays a fault. I took a trip to the coast recently, and indeed, started getting the warning beeps and display each time I started the car.

By the way, the warning changed over time. At first, it was beeps, then the low tire light and the "I" light on the dash were lit. Then, it changed to where I got a fault on the information screen and had to press the OK button on the steering wheel to clear it.

Now that I am back home, however, parking near my summer wheels has cleared the fault and I am back to no warnings. Time for Ford to rethink this thing?
Really? It's Ford's fault that you park your car next to the wheels with the TPMS in it?

Either move the wheels so it doesn't affect the car readout, get TPMS in the winter wheels, or deal with it.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner