Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Suspension Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson2020 View Post
I am wondering if there is a reason you went with Koni yellows instead of ST rear shocks. Can I use ST shocks for the rear or do you recommend the Konis? I want to order my suspension this week and would like I go ST all around (shock part # anyone?) but will go with Koni shocks if that makes more sense. What do you recommend?
ST rear shocks won't fit.

Ford altered the rear suspension of the ST to fit a full-width sway bar. In doing so, they changed the rear bearing carrier entirely, so that the shock mounts to the top instead of the bottom. The ST shocks are about 7-8 inches too short; I found this out the hard way.

Mazdaspeed3-fitment shocks, however, are a perfect fit.

The reason I went with Konis is because of the rebound adjustability they offer. It afforded me the ability to fine-tune the setup to match the damping of the ST front struts as best I could. Overall, I was very satisfied with the setup in terms of ride quality and handling, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else until Konis finally comes out with a front strut fitment for the Focus/Focus ST.