Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2013 ZR1 Vs. 2013 GTS
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,192, Level 18
Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Yeah, apparently you're out of the loop when it comes to performance. ZL1 and 1LE Camaros trounce those much more expensive "refined" European sports sedans on the track. This is from Car and Driver's 2013 Lightning Lap trials. This is in order of fastest lap first. Now keep in mind that the Camaro 1LE package is only 420 hp which is more than 100 hp less than the BMW M6, M5, or the either Audi.

That being said, I don't like Camaros, but I respect what GM is doing. It's also nice to put down some whoop ass on snooty tooties who think their Yuurapeein' cars are so freaking almighty.

Ferrari 458 - 2.49.9
Lexus LFA - 2.55.1
Chevy Camaro ZL1 - 2.57.5
Mercedes AMG C63 Black Series - 2.58.0
Porsche 911 S - 2.58.9
Ford Shelby GT500 - 3.00.6
Chevy Camaro SS 1LE - 3.01.5
Jaguar XKR-S - 3.02.1
Porsche Boxster S - 3.04.2
Audi RS5 - 3.04.3
BMW M6 - 3.04.7
BMW M5 - 3.05.2
Audi S6 - 3.09.8
BMW 335i sedan - 3.13.2
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 R - 3.13.9
Dodge Charger Pursuit - 3.17.8
Subaru BRZ - 3.18.6
Ford Focus St - 3.21.4
Chevy Caprice PPV - 3.23.0
Fiat 500 Abarth - 3.27.3
Not hardly....I'm on the track probably more than anyone on this forum, if that's the loop you speak of. Please note I said true sports car, not a sports sedan or coupe (more practical multi-purpose vehicles). These are two entirely different designs, so you're disputing something I didn't say. A sports sedan or coupe is not a true sports car. They have sedan underpinnings by definition, some with a couple doors welded shut, a few less door hinges and a curvier roofline. They have the same compromises as a ponycar.

This list showing "best lap time" does not fairly measure or compare world class performance. Any track racer will totally laugh at this test. A single fluke quick lap does not compare relative performance. If it's not repeatable, it's not relevant. I've been there, believe me. On a track there is no such thing as a one lap race. The front tires will begin overheating and chunking off the Camaro and Mustang after a half dozen hot laps, so the performance is not reliable, kinda like nitrous (scary and short-lived). Less than perfect track conditions will send these ponycars into the tire wall in the hands of the best drivers. Have you ever noticed ponycars always qualify well but finish poorly? They look strong for the first couple laps then fade. Genuine sports cars will run all day without issues because they have better balance. No doubt, the Camaro is more capable than Mustang.

Where are the two USA manufactured sports cars in this test?? Where is the Porsche flagship sports car? Are you aware both Vette and Viper produce lap times equal to the Ferrari 458 (7-10 seconds quicker than the Camaros)? They are quicker when comparing fastest laps and even more impressive when a dozen laps are run. Do you think this is a list of the fastest cars around?? How many legitimate sports cars ran slower than the Camaro and Mustang in this test? None. And how many non-vanity sports cars are in this test? None. Half of these cars are sedans while the slower 2 door cars are "vanity designs" like the Boxster, specifically optimized for business professionals and women looking for something showy. The M5, M6 and RS5 are overweight, sedan-based luxoboats. They compete against other heavy sedans like Dodge Charger or 335i, not sports cars. The door count is not relevant.

Last edited by Lscman; 01-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.