Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Thermostat housing leak
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #54
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,935, Level 33
Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33 Points: 2,935, Level: 33
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 43%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I could not agree more. Dorman has a stranglehold on small OEM type (note I say type, not OEM, they look same but definitely aren't!) parts, unfortunately, they apparently contract with Chinese shops that use some of the crappiest materials on the planet. Their plastics suck, their rubber products instead of stretching like rubber should simply tear with hand force only, and not a lot either. Some steel parts can work OK but others are so low quality steel that they fail very quickly. Their front end parts like balljoints are absolute garbage, don't let the lifetime warranty fool you. No one makes replacement plastic coolant reservoirs, Dorman saw that as a market and upon filling it, gets back almost every reservoir they sell when they crack to fail, often in two weeks or less, many in a day. They make parts for OEM, but hoping they are somewhat better quality, certainly no guarantee of that though. I wouldn't trust even a junk motor to one of their thermostats, I've seen them commonly stuck open right out of the box.

At the last of my time at the store they were moving into instrument panel replacement gauges in the hundreds of dollars, every one I sold came back almost instantly as having one thing or another wrong with it.

As long as no competition comes forward to force them and other companies like Anchor mounts to make better quality parts they will continue to cynically supply the world with worthless crap and charge top buck for it. I go out of my way to avoid products from either company having sold and returned so many of them. Buyer beware!