Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #27
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I actually purchased this car because it had the DCT transmission. I had one in California for a rental and really liked the DCT. As a general comment, I think the DCT actually functions quite nicely considering it IS a manual transmission, and also for how new the concept is.

Being 100% realistic, 50% of the manual transmission drivers I've driven with, drive more jerky than this DCT. Seriously... Think about that one.

I actually feel the DCT up and down shifts quite smoothly, and was also pleasantly surprised on how well it takes off from a stop in 1st gear.

However, that said, there are certain situations where things can go awry. For instance, when driving slowly (just above creeping) up a decent slope, say from a stop light. The programming makes it upshift to 2nd gear WAY too early, and the car starts jerking and lunging.

Is this the transmissions fault? Nope.
Is this the drivers fault? Nope. (but in hindsight, he/she could just simply press the accelerator pedal a little bit more like he/she would have to do in a manual car, and the car wouldn't try to upshift into 2nd)
Is it the Transmission Controller's programming fault? Yes, I do think so.

In my opinion, the majority (if not all) of the "issues" that people have with the DCT, could be fixed in the software.

So to me, this leaves two questions...
Why is Ford Engineers not working like crazy on updated software?
Why is NO ONE ELSE working on better software?
~~~If I had more time, I'd be all over this.

In the VW world many manufacturers flash the DSG Trans Controller for better performance, firming shifts, moving shift points, making it all around "better", etc.

If there is something sketchy or quirky with a car (or anything for that matter) it only takes someone with enough drive to fix it.