Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #1827
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbjday View Post
I believe Ford should be explaining to potential customers what they are buying. ...

I agree, but lots of people do not do what they "should", if they even know what that is. When the new Focus came out I don't think most of the people selling them knew much about how different its "automatic" transmission is. No surprise that they couldn't explain it to potential customers. There was also some confusion, probably even some deception, about the difference between the DCT's "normal characteristics" that some owners objected to and the actual failures that were occurring. Considering the high turnover I've seen in sales people at car dealers in my area, it is likely that some only cared about what was in it for themselves in the near term, even after they did know what was going on. (Ever heard of Bernie Madoff?)

One thing that might make it not feel so bad is to write it off in your mind to the proverbial "rising cost of education." I've noted in other comments that I've been "educated" really well about buying new cars at least 4 times in the last 40 years -- slow learner here. (In one case -- not a Focus --- I ended up finding a crashed sample of a later model than the one I owned and swapping its transmission with mine, all at my expense. I liked the rest of that car that much, especially with other modifications I had already made to it. Doing that job was also very "educational". Learning to be my own mechanic paid back more than I realized for many years after that, though it's definitely not for everyone.) It is not easy doing the homework and being patient for the right opportunity, but that is part of the lesson.

One of the lessons I got from experiences like this is that, as a buyer, I "should" know what it is that I am buying. Another was to not buy a new or re-designed model in (at least) its first year of production unless I'm up to dealing with the likely problems. A third was to not get so excited about any new car that I forget the first two. Such excitement can lead to trying to convince youself that, after all these years, car makers must have learned how to do it all better by now. The only way that usually happens is when they stick with old/proven technology. (e.g. Toyota Corolla) Buying a brand with a better track record can help, but is no guarantee. (Two of my "lessons" have been taught to me by Honda and Toyota.)

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh. I sympathize with your predicament, and thank you for sharing your experience here for others (me) to learn from.

====================================
"Brevity is the soul of wit." No wonder my posts are so long.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 01-22-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: clarification