Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
Everyone who has a DCT trans and think they have, or do not have, issues with it... I strongly suggest to go test drive an automatic Volkswagen car with the DSG Transmission. This way you'll have another dual clutch auto transmission to compare your DCT to.
Will do, thanks!

I know the 1->2 and 2->3 noises are said to be normal, and after reading the OP I do think it is normal, but getting a comparison vehicle to allay even the most minor fear never hurts. (and I'd put Ford over VW any day already...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roswelltop View Post
Dear Ford,
Regarding your letter acknowledging the grinding, whining, clicking, clunking and other sounds of metal on metal, it is only fair that copies of this letter be clearly posted on EVERY new Focus with the 6 speed Power Shift Transmission.

I would think that the letter should be affixed next to the manufacturer's "window sticker" so that every potential customer can make an informed decision.

In other words Ford, this is nothing more, nothing less, than drug manufacturers do in posting the possible adverse affects to those who use their drugs right their on the bottle. And in your television advertising, you can run a little banner right there at the bottom of the screen.

What? It might decrease sales? I say poppycock! Despite being told that drugs will make users bleed, choke, cough, wheeze, poop, pee uncontrollably, vomit, forget stuff....and on and on, it makes NO difference. Prescription drug use is at an all time high. Heck, you might even sell more cars.....

Yours very truly,
The Average Joe
Agreed. I was told that the DCT had Sport mode, and was told to drive it like an automatic. Once I heard the noises, I brought it in - and was told by the mechanic and his supervisor to drive it like a manual and to give it more gas.

The left hand (mechanical division) doesn't know what the right hand (sales group) is doing. But that was a year ago (of which the DCT was in the Fiesta only, with the 2012 Focus being on the market for ~6 months or whatever and the salesman may or may not have been new, and/or other possibilities.)

I know a couple folks on this forum said to not "geezer drive", to help break in the transmission more effectively and they're right. I wish that was said at the time of sale.

I do love my Focus overall.