feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
Another way to look at the OS question is, do IVT systems that use something other than CE have issues?

Well, as a matter of fact, the Cadillac CUE system does not use CE, it uses Linux. CUE also uses completely different hardware and different developers, and Microsoft no where to be found.

However, CUE has rebooting issues (Initializing Application = Performing Scheduled Maintenance), latency issues (2-3 seconds for a response), voice activation problems, indexing problems, runaway radio volume increases, and on and on.

For reference to problems with a non-Microsoft IVT system,

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/...it-begins.html

"The 2013 Cadillac ATS's ambitious CUE infotainment system was fast-tracked into production and side-stepped usability engineering. It makes MyFordTouch look comparatively excellent. My prediction: CUE will be deservedly skewered here and elsewhere for its slow response to touch, poor indexing (correspondence to where it is touched), intermittent outright crashing (pictured), illogical menus, pagination and interface, and so on. Just one night in the car and I experienced all of these."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cad...-ux,20143.html

"CUE appears to be a textbook example of a first-generation product that is in dire need of revision" "CUE would be critized in a $20,000 car, but at more than $40,000 and a vehicle that can easily exceed $50,000, CUE is more a toy than a useful and safe interface.

http://www.motorward.com/2012/11/con...-cadillac-cue/

"Everyone who has used CUE agrees that it is pretty flawed." "CUE seems to be a bad copy of Ford MyTouch system."
Good find Jessica!

Kia's UVO system, the Nissan Leaf's display/information system, Fiat's infotainment system, and of course the SYNC system all are built on Windows Embedded Automotive.

Now, SYNC isn't perfect, but the standard system has received it's fair share of praise. The voice commands are among the best in vehicles today, despite MFT voice command issues. Up until MFT was released, SYNC was a very popular item in the industry when it came to hands-free technology.

MFT has great potential, but running an application through Flash Lite is just a dumb idea. Writing an application native to Windows Embedded Automotive would have been MUCH better, the fact that we're running an application to run an application especially on limited hardware is stupid to begin with.

That said, we're clearly not alone, and after watching the CUE videos... I'm loving MFT.
Sonic Crew #28