Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Tune up ? What should i have done?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84356
What I Drive: 2007 SE Dark Toreador Red Pearl

FF Reputation: 1 josephd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Did you test the filter like the owner's manual recommends?

Yes, it is possible that there will be codes generated. I would guess codes like O2 sensor reading lean, or MAF not reading correctly- as a guess. If you swap over to a CAI or simply put a 3.5" cone filter on the end of the MAF tube, then you will want to purchase some MAF cleaner and a Torx screwdriver so you can remove the MAF and clean it. The oil from those filters will contaminate the MAF and cause bad fuel economy. The MAF should be cleaned weekly for a month. After that, simply clean it with each oil change.
My car is running fine so far. I have close to 82K and tend to be OCD on non serviceable parts. I did an internet search and cannot find where or how to test it. What I did find, Ford says 150K is the usual expectancy of the filter.
I was also told not to worry about either or. If you're not in very dusty conditions, the filter rarely needs replacing. And keeping up on the oil changes will keep the PCV from clogging.
At 70K I changed the plugs, fuel filter and anti-freeze. The fuel filter I am over the top. I change it every 3rd or 4th oil change. I am on the 200K plus quest, hopefully she will make it. :) Thanks, for your input