Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My DCT stalled out while driving today...*MK3*
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Hey all, so here's the situation of what happened.
I was going uphill, and I was in sport mode. Once I got to about the top of the hill I put it in Drive. After that on the way down the hill, it auto-shifted down (rpm increased), instead of up, which I thought was weird cause it usually shifts up on downhills. Anyways I noticed that happen, and then I was preparing to turn right at the bottom of the hill, so I flipped my turn signal. It was then that I noticed the main screen said "Transmission not in Park", and all of the gauges read 0 as if the car was off. I check the stick and it was in Drive still. I then check the key and it was in the "off" position... So I had to really quickly just start the car because I had the turn coming up at the bottom of the hill. All I know is, i'm 99% sure it stalled out randomly while driving because all the signs of that happening were there. I was told that the DCT cannot stall out, and you can't damage the car because the car will auto-shift before you can. Anyways, I don't think I did anything wrong, and the car randomly stalled out.
As a background, I'v got 2,200 miles on it since I got it on Dec. 14, 2012, and I've been driving it pretty hard. I haven't done the 1st oil change yet.

Please respond if you've had similar issue or if anyone knows whats up. Thanks.
Sounds like the computer got confused and decided to shut off. I think when they say that the dct can't stall, what they mean is that the system will automatically downshift to prevent being in too high a gear and not have enough RPMs

When you say that the keys were in the "off" position, do you mean that you had to turn the key to start the car again? When you did, did you feel the interval "clicks" as the key got into the "ACC" then "ON" positions? I ask because its a common misconception that the key stays fully turned after you start the car; rather, it's a spring-loaded mechanism where the key will spring back to the "ON" position.

If you didn't feel the bumps when you restarted the car, then it was probably in the ON position.