Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - HELP! Engine Surging and Dying at Idle.
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Z3T3C
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107116
What I Drive: 2000 SE Zetec with ATX

Points 106, Level 2
Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Z3T3C Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
HELP! Engine Surging and Dying at Idle.

2000 Focus SE 2.0 DOHC ZETEC w/Auto Trans is wanting to idle at correct RPMs, but then drops down and goes right back to correct idle and does this a few more times and dies. Eventually, it gets worse and is hard to start without applying gas peddle when turning over. Yes, I know it's not carbureted, but its the only thing that works, even after leaving the key in the on position for several moments. I do hear the fuel pump prime when the key is in the on position. BTW no CEL, I did have codes for misfire, IAC, and TPS, but those I have been cleared

Here is what I has been done so far:
Fuel filter - filthy; ignition coil - cracked and out of resistance spec; spark plugs(Motorcraft) and wires - done right before I bought it; IAC Valve (MC) - nonfunctional; TPS - had TPS for manual trans on it; PCV hose (MC) from intake manifold to steel tube - collapsed; gutted cat - wasn't clogged but what the heck; cleaned MAF w/MAF sensor cleaner and throttle body w/throttle body cleaner; and finally cleaned contacts and ground points for fuel pump driver module; 2 bottles/fuel tanks worth of Chevron Concentrate Plus.

Car seems to drive fine, but can't idle and dies at stoplights unless I keep one foot on the brake and the other foot steady on the gas peddle in order to keep idle up. I have extensively checked all other vacuum lines and intake connection points (i.e throttle body, IAC) 3 times over with a propane tank to find leaks and there are none. Nor have I been able to locate any other collapsed or brittle hoses or elbows. I'm at a complete loss without suggesting the fuel pump, but it drives fine with hesitation so IDK. Any help is greatly needed; it's my daily driver for school and work.