Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Thermostat housing leak
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #46
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63511
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 MarkZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Well there seems to be some concern about being able to tighten the bolts enough to seal the gasket without cracking the housing.
My thinking is that using a good bonding agent to both sides of the gasket and letting it fully cure should reduce the need for higher torque.

Next, what I found was during the lapping of the housing is they are not "Flat" I had to actually sand beyond the Epoxy fill to get the housing to make a complete and full contact across its entire surface. I figure this is adding to some of the housings getting cracked.

Another thing I found was while lapping the housing was the full length steel inserts were not even with a housing surface, lapping corrected that on at lest the sealing surface side of the housing.

The gasket paper I used was a thin hard pressed type, so my hope is that no more torque will be needed to seal the gasket than the rubber seal. The plan is to create a good cured bond with the yellow weather stripping adhesive and tighten the bolts to normal torque. I do think that running the bolts down "EVEN" with the gasket may be even more important than with the soft rubber seal.

Some people doubt the use of the weather stripping adhesive for a gasket sealer.

The short story of how I started using it.

Around 1977 I had a Chevy Blazer (New) and it had coolant leaks and oil leaks from a number of places. I took it to the dealership several times to get them to fix it, to no avail!. I was a mechanic at the time working for Firestone, so I decided to just fix it myself.
I went to one of the parts stores where we most often ordered parts from and I new all the people that worked ther, and one of them had been around the parts business for YEARS. So I go in getting the stuff I need to fix my leaks and I also ask him for the "Absolute" best gasket sealing on the planet and at any cost?? well he brings out a tube of (at the time) "3M yellow Weather Stripping Adhesive" I ask, this is the best? to which he replied Yep! I have used it ever sense.
It bonds,
It seals,
It don't crack,
It flexes.
It has become my best friend, LoL

Mark