Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2013 ZR1 Vs. 2013 GTS
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,192, Level 18
Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There is a huge difference between a true sports car and a ponycar when it comes to overall performance. Ponycars try real hard, but their primitive sedan underpinnings will always hold them back thru high center of gravity, poor weight distribution and compromised suspension geometry & design. If you only own one vehicle a cheap ponycar is a good compromise, but I'd personally prefer a 4dr sports sedan like CTS-V or BMW 4dr with 6spd offering similar performance capability, better occupant comfort and practicality. For me, ponycars don't make sense when the bang for buck benefit vanishes and/or the car's design was stupidly compromised just to give it a classic look. This is the case where maxed out models approach sports car cost yet have a solid axle like a model T. Hey it's not 1979, new V8 Mustangs no longer cost $10K and the Fairmont Fox chassis is long retired. Anybody paying over $40K for a loaded up ponycar can't use the "I'm poor" argument for not owning a $5K backup sedan and a true sports car. Ponycars are geared for folks who like to drive something that looks like a 60's classic while occasionally mashing the go pedal in a straight line. To me the ponycar has become an overpriced blue collar vanity statement for people who dream of the days when you could drag race from a stoplight without losing your license for a year. It's really not a good tools for track drag racing. A $5K rusty S-10 truck with a Jasper motor will run 9's and kill a new Shelby.

I'm glad the USA is still manufacturing two true sports cars to compete against the finest from Japan and Europe, offering equal or better performance at a lower pricepoint. Go Viper and Vette.