Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - zx3 dohc solid lifter adjusment updated discussion
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yep three angles fine, just a stocker. By cheap valves I meant Honda, you often couldn't reuse them, and the prices for exhausts were astronomical.

I actually didn't lap tips, they had to be ground in varying amounts up to .005"-.006"+. You won't be able to lap that much off tip. I fitted a plate to side of 6 inch bench grinder, it was drilled with varying threads to mount various press-in valve guides outside threaded to fit in the plate. Plate made adjustable to be able to put guide in parallel and square and I used a fine grinding wheel shimmed to be dead straight when spinning. In short, I cut my tips on a bench grinder by inserting valve in guide and lightly spinning it against the turning wheel. Worked like a top, that was 70K ago and motor still runs primo.

Whatever, you should hold toward the LOOSE side of exhaust clearance spec, the gradual recession of valve into seat will close up the clearance instead of it getting looser. The added looseness of the cam caps muddies up just how much clearance you have in there because the cams kinda wobble around in the cam caps.