Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
Guys comparing a DSG of a golf or any VW product is still not the same because they are wet setup...the hydraulic action smooths out any roughness or grinding. The focus is a dry setup, which is lighter and cheaper, but no fluids are present to hush the unpleasant characteristics

It should still be noted that several DCTs were indeed faulty, and even if this is the normal operation of the transmissions, Ford should know better than to think customers will believe/accept that

More reason to get an actual manual!
I like to use the motorcycle comparison to demonstrate to those non familiar with our DCT. The VAG DSG transmission is much like most motorcycle manual transmissions (wet clutch packs), the shift action and clutch engagement is very smooth, in fact, you can "slip" wet clutches all day long and they don't really complain. Now, take our dry clutch DCT setup, I liken it to a dry clutch Ducati transmission.. Every ride a modern Ducati? The clutch housing is quite noisey (especially at idle in neutral -sounds like tambourine), it is tricky to get a smooth shift out of one and you are very "aware" of gear selection and clutch positon, simply by the loud noises and "clunkiness" of it all. BUT, it is a much more effecient setup (no parasitic losses from the clutches spinning in oil), and no "slippage" when engaging gears. Another benefit from a dry clutch setup is no clutch fibres (normal wear and tear) contaminating your oil. That's why most conventional (Japanese bikes anyway) motorcycles require very frequent oil changes (3000kms usually) ---- the oil gets black from the clutch fibres, literally. Look at a Ducati's oil at 3-5k... still golden yellow/brown.
That is probably why VW/Audi require the frequent DSG oil changes at a somewhat great expense....

Is the DCT better than VW's DSG? That is not a simple answer, I guess the best answer I give people is, "they're different. Ask a Ducati owner if his loud, noisey dry clutch motorcyle is better than most Japanese bikes, and he will give you a resounding "Hell, yes".. that is Italian music", whereas, Honda/Kawi/Yamaha/Suzuki owner's consider it loud and "unfriendly", they'll stick with thier nice and "quiet" wet clutch setups.
I don't know about you, but, I quite like not having my clutches in the same oil as my transmission... longer life and almost no maintenance. When it comes to bikes, well, I've been riding and racing them for much of my 42 years on this earth, and while I do like Ducati's, I'll stick with the Japanese bikes, since they are considerably cheaper (and easier to fix.. LOL)

Cheers
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)