Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - zx3 dohc solid lifter adjusment updated discussion
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 62 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hadn't run into the "cheap crap" myself, official Honda parts worked quite well at the time...

Did have a valve grinder in the shop, but it wasn't used much anymore - original Triumphs & older BMW's were the ones that called for it's use.

Boring & honing cylinders was the majority of machine work and even in the 80's some were amazed that was actually done in the shop since automotive work was always "sent out" even then.

The mention of grinding valve tips really "rang a bell", since that was the ONLY way to adjust clearance on small flathead power equipment engines...

"high tech" for valve adjustment was shim under bucket, since those tiny shims & their buckets were a LOT lighter than the large shims on top that could be changed without removing the cams... Buckets without shims have to be even lighter, so with better materials & tighter tolerances making valve adjustment less of a regular maintenance issue I can see why they are used. (bet they are a lot cheaper for the factory as well!)

To get back to the O.P. - once the seats are cut & the valves ground or replaced (as needed) & lapped in, you can assemble the head & do your measuring of actual clearances. Then you take the cams & buckets off again, see which can be swapped to get proper clearance - and order what you need or try some additional machine work like amc's suggestion of lapping tips to gain clearance where needed.

Luck!

P.S. - forgot to mention, "three angle" cut on the seats should be more than adequate, I've seen some 5 angle cuts advertised but IMHO it's more a sales pitch for a particular tool than a real performance advantage.... That could be a long discussion in itself!

Last edited by sailor; 01-18-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add